Sabudana Khichdi | How to Make Sabudana Khichdi | Sago – Fasting Food
Sabudana Khichdi | How to Make Sabudana Khichdi | Sago – Fasting Food – Sabudana (sago) khichdi is a popular dish in India made from tapioca pearls (sabudana) and spices, typically served as a breakfast or snack food. It is made by cooking sabudana in ghee with spices, peanuts, and sometimes vegetables.
It is often eaten during religious fasts due to its high carbohydrate content.
Sabudana Made of (Sago)
Sabudana, also known as tapioca pearls, is made from the starchy extract of the cassava root. The extract is processed into small, translucent pearls that are used in various dishes, including sabudana khichdi, kheer (sweet pudding), and vadas (deep-fried snacks).
In India, every religion has its own festivals and fastings. We celebrate every festival of every religion with love and respect, thus India is known for its unity in diversity.
In India after a hot summer, the monsoon comes with a drop of relief from the heat and also starts knocking on the doors of the season of festivals.
In August, the festival season starts on Independence day ( 15 August) then it covers Gopalkala, Rakshabandhan, Dahihandi, Navratri, Ganpati (Ganesh Chaturthi), Diwali, Eid, and finally ends with Christmas.
In the course of these festivals, Shravan is the holiest month for Hindus. This month, all the Hindus in India used to do fastings and prayers.
Every festival has its own history and importance, so the foods and fastings are also different from one to another. But Sabudana khichdi is always suitable for all kinds of food practice and always tops the list among fasting foods.
Today I am sharing with you the Sabudana Khichdi Recipe along with a lot of side dishes.
Sabudana Khichdi is a delicious preparation of soaked sabudana. It is really very easy to cook, but without proper skills, it can become the most time-consuming cooking item.
So today I am sharing with you the recipe of a complete fasting thali centered with the primary item sabudana khichdi. After cooking the items in this post you will feel, this is the best and most delicious fasting thali you have ever had.
In this recipe post, along with the sabudana khichdi, you will have recipes of potato dry curry, curd chutney, and a few more. So this is a complete fasting thali / ‘Upwasachi thali’ with Sabudana Khichdi.
These recipes are a specialty of my home. You can see this preparation on the menu of our regular breakfast. At every festival of fastings, we cook all these dishes.
In my childhood, I have seen my Kaku (aunt) cook this entire thali on the days of fasting. I put my maximum effort into replicating the same taste today.
How to soak Sago in the water?
- Firstly take sago / Sabudana in one mixing bowl.
- Wash it well and add sufficient water in it.
- Keep it aside for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes drain the water from the sago.
- Now keep this sago / sabudana as it is for the whole night.
- In the morning while cooking it, spread a little amount of water on sago and mix it well.
- To make non-sticky sabudana khichdi, always soak sago in water for the whole night and make sabudana khichdi in the morning.
There are many options available for Sabudana khichdi recipes on the internet, but it is very difficult to find a full fasting thali with sabudana khichdi. As I have earlier mentioned, Shravan is a holy month for Hindus which comes with the start of monsoon.
Shivratri and the four Mondays of the month (Shravan somvar) are the most celebrated days when women from Hindu families keep fasting and worship the lord Shiva to fulfill their desire. In these days of fasting, today’s thali can be a very good meal option.
- Cauliflower Curry Recipe | Flower chi Bhaji
- Patodi Rassa Recipe | Kachi Patodi Rassa | Besan ki Sabji
- Pomfret Fry Recipe
- Phirni Recipe | Firni Recipe
- Dal Baati Recipe
If you are wondering “how to cook delicious and non-sticky sabudana khichdi for fasting?” Then you are at the right place to get the answer.
Here you will get your answer with satisfactory instructions and fulfilling desired taste because I am sharing with you not only a recipe for sabudana khichdi but also other side dish items with it.
In our house, we used to prepare sabudana khichdi on every fasting occasion, but in Shravan and specifically on Shravan somvar(Monday) we cook potato dry curry, fried green chilies along with the sabudana khichdi.
I love to eat this khichdi with fried green chilies and fried as well as plain curd. This preparation needs very little time and effort, so on the occasions of festivals and fastings, this is the first dish that comes in my mind to cook for my family.
Ingredients for Sabudana Khichdi
- 1 Bowl Sago / Sabudana
- 1/2 Bowl Peanut
- 6-7 Green chili
- 1 Boil potato
- 2 tsp Oil
- 2 tsp Coriander Leaves
Process for Sabudana Khichdi
Soak the sago in water for the entire night. That means if you want to make sago on Monday morning, then you have to soak it in water for the entire Sunday night.
- Step 1: Firstly roast the peanuts and make a semi-crushed powder out of it. Boil the potatoes.
- Step 2: Now cut green chilies, coriander leaves, and boil the potatoes as well.
- Step 3: Take one pan and heat the oil. Add chopped green chilies in hot oil and fry it well.
- Step 4: Take soaked sago in one mixing bowl. Add boiled and cut potatoes in sago and add peanut powder in it, mix it well.
- Step 5: It is time to add sago, peanut powder, and potatoes in the hot oil. Fry the mixture properly and cover it.
How to Make Sabudana Khichdi
*This is the step-by-step image instruction for cooking Sabudana Khichdi, just follow the steps and your Sabudana Khichdi will be ready.
1. Take soaked sago in one mixing bowl.
2. Roast the peanut.
3. Make semi-crushed powder of peanut.
4. Chopped green chili and boil the potatoes.
5. Heat the oil.
6. Add chopped green chili in hot oil.
7. Check Sabudana / Sago is soaked or not.
8. Mixed Sago well with the help of wet hand.
9. Take soaked sago in mixing bowl and add peanut powder in it.
10. Add boiled and cut Potato.
11. Mix it well.
12. Add sago, potato and peanut powder mix in fried green chili, Sprinkle some salt.
13. Fry it well and cover it for 5 minutes.
14. Sabudana Khichdi is ready. Start to prepare Potato fry.
Let’s start cooking this Potato fry for fasting. Potato fry is the preparation of boiled and salty potatoes with the aroma of coriander leaves. It will give you a very authentic taste of potatoes.
So enjoy the sweet and salty fried potatoes in your fasting meal. You have to follow very few steps to make this delicious dish.
Ingredients for Potato fry For Fast
- 5-6 Boil Potato
- 1 tsp Oil
- 2 tsp Coriander Leaves
Process for Potato Fry For Fast
- Step 1: Take boil potato in one bowl and chopped in square shape.
- Step 2: Heat the oil.
- Step 3: Add chopped-boil potatoes in hot oil. Fry it well.
How to make Potato Fry for Fast
This is the step-by-step image instruction for Potato fry, just follow the below steps and your Potato fry will be ready.
1. Take Boil potato in One mixing bowl.
2. Chopped this boil potato.
3. Heat the oil .
4. Add boiled-chopped potato and salt in oil. Fry it well.
5. garnish Coriander leaves on the potato fry. Potato fry is ready.
Sabudana Khichdi and potato fries are ready. Now let’s add some spiciness in this fasting thali. So we are going to make two types of green chilies as the side dish of this khichdi.
You will need very few ingredients and very little effort to fry these green chilies. If you like to eat green chilies or you are a spicy food lover then you will fall in love with this item.
I like to add lemon and salt into these fried green chilies. Write to us in the comment box, which kind of fried chilies you prefer to have with your meal.
Ingredients for chili fry (both chili fry)
- 10-12 Green chili
- Oil for fry
- 1/2 Lemon
Process for Chili Fry For Fast(2 Type)
- Step 1: Firstly Cut the green chili in two type. Cut 4-5 green chili in one inch and cut 4-5 green chili in plus sign.
- Step 2: Take the pan and heat the oil. Add green chili and fry it well. After frying the plus sign green chili, sprinkle salt on it, first type of chili is ready. Now fry green chili and pore lemon juice, sprinkle salt on this fried green chili. Remember make 4-5 chili only mixing salt and on remaining pore lemon juice and sprinkle salt on it.
- Step 3: Now both fried green chili are ready.
How to make chili Fry For Fast
This is the step-by-step image instruction for cooking fried green chilies. Just follow the below steps and your fried green chilies will be ready.
1. Take green chilies in one place and cut it into two different types of shapes. First cut 4-5 green chilies in plus sign shape. These types of cuts are a very good suit for a salty version of the fry.
2. Cut 4-5 green chilies in 1 inch.
3. Take the pan and heat the oil.
4. Fry the chilies.
5. Make, First type of green chili fry. Sprinkle salt on the fried green chili.
6. First type of green chili fry is ready.
7. Now make second type of green chili fry. Sprinkle salt and take half lemon.
8. Pore the lemon juice on salted green chili fry.
9. Second type of green chili fry is ready.
We have completed 4 items of thali in very less time, isn’t it? Yes! So let’s start to make last food item for fast which is included in our fast thali today. Our last food item for thali is curd chutney which really very easy and less time consuming. So let’s start!
Ingredients for curd chutney with sabudana khichadi
- 1/2 Bowl curd
- 2 tsp Coriander Leaves
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Chopped Green Chili
- 1 tsp Oil
Process for Curd Chutney For Fast
- Step 1: Firstly take curd in one bowl and add little amount of water in it, so water will dilute the curd.
- Step 2: Cut the green chili and coriander leaves.
- Step 3: Now take the pan and heat the oil, add green chili, cumin seeds and coriander leaves in hot oil, fry it well.
- Step 4: Add curd and salt in this fried green chili and coriander leaves, mix it well.
- Step 5: Curd Chutney for fast is ready.
How to Make Curd Chutney For Fast
This is the step-by-step image instruction for preparing Curd chutney, just follow the steps and your Curd chutney will be ready.
1. Take curd in one mixing bowl and add a little amount of water in it. Mix it well. Cut Coriander leaves and green chilies.
2. Take the pan and heat the oil.
3. Add Coriander leaves and green chili in this hot oil, fry it well.
4. Add cumin seeds.
5. Now add water added curd in this fried mixture also sprinkle some salt. Let it boil for 5 minutes.
6. Your Curd chutney for fast is ready.
The complete thali for fasting food is ready now. We have Curd chutney, two types of fried chilies, potatoes fry and sabudana khichdi. If you want to eat some sweets with this thali then take curd in a bowl and add sugar as per your taste.
Your sweet curd will also be ready to eat. Always keep in mind that, if you are having fried the green chilies as a side dish then add less chopped green chilies in sabudana khichdi which will maintain the amount of chili eaten.
- If you like to eat spicy food then you can add more green chilies in Sabudana khichdi.
- For making sweet curd, add sugar as per your taste.
- You can also eat normal curd with the sabudana khichdi.
- While frying the green chilies make sure that you are keeping a safe distance from the pan to avoid any kind of accidents.
- To make non-sticky sabudana khichdi, always soak sago in water for the entire night and then cook it in the morning.
“Thanks for reading! Share your feedback, leave your comments in the comment box. “Hey friends, if you are looking for some specific recipe then you can write your dish name in the comment box and I will definitely try to provide you a tried and tested recipe”.
“Good People, Good Thoughts, Good Karma”
All content and images are the copyright of akuner.com. All recipes are tried and tasted, if you are really want to post a recipes or travel post, please try to make, write and post your own recipes and Travel experience.