Rohu Fish Curry (Rui Macher Kalia)
In India every state is famous for there own food preparations. You will get authentic taste of every food specialty here in this colorful country. Rajasthan is famous for Rajashthani food like dal- bati, Maharashtra is famous for spicy food and West bengal is famous for sweet as well as fish. So today I am sharing with you the very delicious and spacial recipe of Bengali cuisine rohu fish curry. This specific preparation of rohu fish or “Rohu fish curry” is know as “Rui Macher Kalia” in West Bengal. I think India is the only country who has different food preparation with different taste – all together in one country.
Rohu fish is very tasty fish and yes! you can make the curry, dry or fry dish of this fish, you can also prepare ‘mach bhaja’. After trying all the dishes you will find every dish is equally tasty. Today I am going to share with you, the Rui Macher Kalia Recipe. This is the Bengali preparation of Rohu fish curry , means it is the Bengali style rohu fish curry. So excited for this new rohu fish curry recipe? Then read on!
This recipe is very famous in West bengal. Rui macher kalia is the famous Bengali cuisine recipe and always on the top of the list of Bengali cuisine lovers. You will find the katla macher kalia on the occasion of wedding in which the West Bengal. Instead of Katala fish I am making Rui Macher kalia today. It is the signature dish in Bengali cuisine which is ever delicious. As I am ‘Bengali bou’ I want to learn, prepare and share every delicious dish from Bengali cuisine with you.
- Aloo Kabli Recipe-Kolkata Street Food
- Kaju Katli Recipe
- Safed Matar Recipe
- Cauliflower Curry Recipe | Flower chi Bhaji
- Pomfret Fry Recipe
- Phirni Recipe | Firni Recipe
- Peb Fort / Vikatgad Trek / Neral / Matheran
You will need to fry fish pieces first and yes it is an important task. Here I am sharing with you the step by step images with instruction for – “how to make rohu fish curry or rui macher kalia at home?” So you have to just follow following step by step instructions to make this delicious dish at your home. Photos for rohu fish curry will help you a lot. So let’s start.
- Serve For : 2 People
- Preparation Time : 15 Minutes
- Cooking Time : 25 Minutes
- Total Time : 40 Minutes
- Cuisine : Bengali Recipe
- Diet : Non-Vegeterian
- Course : Lunch
- Author : Akuner Evahgi
Ingredients for Rohu Fish Curry
- 4 pieces of Rohu Fish
- 1 Chopped onion
- 2 tsp Ginger-Garlic paste
- 1/2 Bowl tomato puree
- 1/2 Bowl Onion puree
- 4 Green Chili
- 1 Potato
- 2 tsp chopped Coriander leaves
- 4 Cardamom
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 3 bat leaf
- 2 Dry red chili
- 2 Cinnamon (1 inch piece)
- 3 Cloves
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 3 tsp turmeric powder
- salt as required
Process for Rohu Fish Curry
- Step 1: Clean the rohu fish and drain the water out of it. When the fish is dry sprinkle turmeric powder and salt on the fish and rub this salt and turmeric on fish with the help of your hands. Mix all together and keep it aside.
- Step 2: Cut onion and coriander leaves, also make paste of tomato and onion. gather all ingredients at one place.
- Step 3: Heat the oil. Basically in West Bengal this preparation cook with the mustered oil, but I am using refined soyabin oil to cook this rohu fish curry. If you like to eat mustered oil then please use mustered oil for this preparation.
- Step 4: Heat the oil and start to fry this marinated fish pieces first. Fry this all fish pieces well in this hot oil. Also fry potato pieces.
- Step 5: keep this fried fish pieces in one plate. Now heat the oil again and add cloves, bay leaf, cardamom, dry red chili, cinnamon and cumin seeds in this hot oil.Let the whole spices splutter there aroma in the oil.
- Step 6: Now add chopped onion int his flavored oil. Fry this onion. Let the onion cook smooth and covert into the golden brown color.
- Step 7: it is time to add onion puree and tomato puree in the fried onion. Fry this all mixture well.
- step 8: Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt in this mixture and fry it well,
- Step 9: Now all mixture is fried so add one cup of water and let the gravy cook well. let the oil release from the masala mixture.
- Step 10: Add porato fry and fish fry in this gravy, let the gravy boil for 4-5 minutes. This fish will cook very early so do not cook it for more than 5 minutes.
- Ste 11: Check the fish is cooked or not. If yes then garnish coriander leaves on the Rohu fish curry and serve this Rui Macher kalia with steamed rice or roti. Don’t forget to serve raw onion and lemon with this delicious Rohu Fish curry.
How to Make Rui Macher Kalia?
“This is the single image instruction for Rohu Fish Curry making, just follow the steps and your Rohu Fish Curry will ready.“
1.First clean the rohu fish well, drain the water and put it into one flat plat.
2. Sprinkle salt on the fish.
3.Add turmeric powder.
4.Rub this turmeric powder and salt on the fish piesces and mix it well.
5.Keep this marinated fish aside.
6.Gather all the ingredients at one place.
7.Take the pan and heat the oil.
8.Fry Fish pieces.
9.Keep fried fish pieces aside.
11.Keep it aside.
12.Add cumin seeds, bay leaf, dry red chili, cardamom, cloves and cinnamon in remaining hot oil. Fry it well.
13.Add chopped onion and fry it well.
14.Now add green chili. Fry well.
15.It is time to add onion puree. Mix well.
16.Add tomato puree and mix this all together, Fry well.
17.Now add ginger-garlic paste in this mixture and fry it well.
18.Let the mixture fry well.
19.it is time to add cumin powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala and coriander powder in this fried mixture.
20.Fry this mixture well and add salt in the mixture.
21.let the Oil release from masala mixture.
22.Add one bowl of water in the masala mixture.
23.Let the mixture boil.
24.Mixture is boiled add fried potato cubes in the boiled masala mixture.
25.Add Fried fish pieces in the masala gravy.
26.Let the gravy boil and get consistency.
27.Add 2 green chili for essence.
28.Garnish coriander leaves on the rui macher kalia.
29.Let the Rohu Fish curry boil and cook well.
30.Rohu Fish Curry / Rui Macher Kalia is ready.
Rui macher kalia is ready, serve this preparation with hot steamed rice. Also serve the salad. You can eat this type of fish curry with fulka or roti also, but if you asked me I would suggest to have this dish with steamed rice.
Read : –Recipe
- If you have any health problem then add red chili powder or green chili either.
- While marinating fish and making curry keep the balance of salt.
- Use mustered oil if available, it will give you the authentic taste of Bengali rui macher kalia.
- Serve this preparation with steamed rice.
- Also make raw mango curry as a side dish.
- If you don’t like to eat cumin seeds then add cumin powder only.
“Thanks for reading! Share your feedback, leave your comments in comment box.“Hey friends, if you want something new and special dish then post your dish name in comment box and I will definitely provide you the recipe”.
“Good People, Good Thoughts, Good Karma”
All content and images are the copyright of akuner.com. All recipes are tried and tasted, if you are really want to post a recipes or travel post, please try to make, write and post your own recipes and Travel experience.