Rajma Recipe | Rajma for Rice Recipe | How to Make Rajma Masala Curry
Rajma Recipe | Rajma for Rice Recipe | How to Make Rajma Masala Curry – Here are the step-by-step photo instructions for ‘Rajma Recipe | Rajma Masala for Rice Recipe’. This luscious Rajma masala curry has made with flavorful spices and have slightly spicy & thick gravy.
Whenever I hear this word Rajma, I always think that why is rajma called rajma? I know this question is a bit strange but think about this question why we call it Rajma.
Then I think that, might be when things travel from one place to another place they get new local names and I think “Rajma” has a similar situation. We call it Rajma in India, red beans in Pakistan, red kidney bean (fungal bean) in other parts of the world. I have witnessed many people who call it “big beans” too.
We can see that different things have got different names in different parts of the world, I think, same thing happened with Rajma.
- Paneer Butter Masala Recipe
- Kadhi Pakora Recipe
- Easy Mango Chutney Recipe
- Medu Vada Recipe
- Bombay Sandwich Recipe
- Pani Puri Recipe
- Champakali Recipe
Making this palatable rajma masala with rice is always suitable food for lunch or dinner. If you ask me I would say that I always love to eat creamy rajma gravy with hot steam rice. Making this creamy gravy is quite tricky.
If you have a perfect recipe with step-by-step photo instructions then it will be really very easy for you to make this appetizing Rajma masala curry for rice at home & it will be without taking help from anyone.
I ate Punjabi Rajma chawal for the first time when I joined my first job in Mumbai. Here in Mumbai, you will find every type of cousin at a very reasonable price.
On the street next to my office, an uncle sells delicious rajma rice. I ate this rajma bhat for lunch on the first day of my office and after that day I became addicted to that rajma bhat.
After that day I started eating rajma rice for lunch every day. I still remember those days. It feels like it was the most beautiful day of my life. And I wish I could live that day again.
Is Rajma Good for Health?
Rajma has good health benefits. You can have this rajma on a daily basis too, because it will keep you active. Rajma is also beneficial to keep your heart healthy. Red kidney beans are also a natural detoxifier.
Red kidney beans help you in boosting the digestive system because it has a good source of dietary fibers. Rajma is also good for diabetics because it has a low GI index. Red kidney beans or Rajma contain fiber & protein which helps for digestion, because all of this Rajma is good for weight loss too.
You can feed rajma to babies too, as it has a good amount of iron & protein which helps for muscle development. Rajma helps to prevent free radical damage in kids because rajma has a good amount of antioxidants.
I always think, ‘Are Rajma grown in India ?’, if not then ‘How did Rajma come to India?’. Yesterday I searched for my answer on google.
Actually best quality Rajma grown in North India State of Himachal Pradesh. We know it very well that Rajma Chawal is a North Indian food recipe and in all of this Punjabi Rajma Chawal has its own fan base.
Rajma Recipe Ingredients
- 1 Bowl Rajma (Water soaked for 7-8 hours)
- 2 Onion finely Chopped
- 1 Small Bowl Tomato Puree
- 1 Small Bowl Onion Puree
- 2 tsp Ginger & Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 3 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 tbsp Rajma Masala
- 2 tsp Coriander Leaves
- 1 tsp Kasuri Methi
- 2 Bay Leaf
- 1 Inch Cinnamon
- 3 Green Cardamom
While making rajma you can skip use of Rajma Masala powder if you want to make rajma recipe without rajma masala.
Process to Make Rajma with Rajma Masala
- Step 1:- Firstly Chopped all veggies. Also make a puree of onion and tomato.
- Step 2:- Now take rajma / kidney beans which we have soaked overnight in water. Heat a pan and add this rajma in a pan. Also add water, cumin seeds, bay leaf, green cardamom, salt and cinnamon. Cover and cook rajma for 20 minutes on medium to low flame.
- Step 3:- Check after 20 minutes. Rajma is boiled now. Heat oil in a pan. Add chopped onions in oil and let it fry well. We need a soft texture of onion.
- Step 4:- Now add ginger & garlic paste in the oil, mix it all together.
- Step 5:- Time to add tomato and onion puree in this mixture. Add both the purees and mix this all.
- Step 6:- We need to add Kasuri methi, so take kasuri methi, rub it with both hands and add it in a gravy mixture.
- Step 7:- Add coriander leaves in this mixture and give it a good mix. Now add powder spices (Rajma Masala, Garam Masala, Turmeric Powder, Red Chili Powder, Coriander Powder) in the mixture and mix it well.
- Step 8:- Cook this mixture on low flame. Crush some kidney beans and add it in a mixture. This process makes the gravy thicker. Mix all and you can see the texture of gravy.
- Step 9:- Now add boiled kidney beans in this masala mixture. Mix all together and let the rajma masala curry cook for 10 minutes on low flame.
- Step 10:- Rajma masala curry is ready to serve. Serve this delicious rajma masala curry with hot steamed rice. Also serve onion and pickle. It will give you an authentic Rajma chawal taste.
Shravan month has started and we actually need a long list of vegetarian dishes to be made this month. As I am non vegetarian I actually need this list to be present in my kitchen. Rajma is a popular vegetarian dish, so can we miss it? Obviously not.
Above I was provided you the process to make rajma masala. Now, I am sharing step by step photo instructions to make rajma.
How to Make Rajma at home? | Rajma recipe step by step with pic
Follow the given step by step photo instruction to make delicious rajma curry. You just need to follow this instruction and rajma masala curry will be ready in no time.
1. Soak rajma in water for overnight.
2. heat a pan.
3. Add rajma in a pan.
4. Need to add water for boiling.
5. Add bay leaf.
6. Also add cinnamon.
7. Add green cardamom.
8. Also add cumin seeds.
9. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
10. Check after 20 minutes.
11. Mix it.
12. Press kidney beans with finger tips.
13. It is cooked, turn off the gas.
14. Heat a pan for making rajma masala.
15. Add oil.
16. Add chopped onion in the oil.
17. Fry onion well.
18. Let the onion soften.
19. Onion is softened now.
20. Add salt.
21. Add ginger & garlic paste.
22. Add tomato puree.
23. Also add onion puree.
24. Give it a good mix.
25. Add kasuri methi.
26. Also add Coriander leaves.
27. Mix all together.
28. Add rajma masala, garam masala, turmeric powder, coriander powder and red chili powder in this mixture.
29. Give it a good mix.
30. Cook masala mixture on low flame.
31. Mix again.
32. Turn gas on medium flame.
33. Crush kidney beans in this gravy.
34. Add boiled kidney beans in the masala mixture.
35. Mix all together.
36.You can see the perfect consistency of rajma masala curry.
37. Now add a little amount of water.
38. Mix again.
39. Cover rajma curry and cook for 10 minutes on low flame.
40. Check after 10 minutes.
41. Mix rajma curry properly.
42. Td-Da!. Rajma is ready now.
43. Turn off the gas. Serve this rajma masala curry with hot steam rice. Also serve onion and mango pickle.
Making rajma at home is very easy if you have a simple but perfect recipe to make it. I am sharing the same recipe with you.
I personally love to eat rajma chawal with onion and pickle. One can add there favorite salad in this list.
You can find delicious Rajma Chawal in Mumbai, at Mohammed Ali Road. The same place is famous for Matar Kulcha. It is a heavenly experience to eat hot rajma or Matar Kulcha in this rainy weather.
So, what are you waiting for? Perfect recipe is here for tasty rajma chawal. Make this appetizing dish at home and enjoy the monsoon.
Before you go to the kitchen to cook this mouth-watering dish, let me tell you one interesting thing, you can make rajma in a cooker also with some easy steps and with less time.
Rajma in a pressure cooker | How to Make Rajma in Pressure Cooker
Making rajma masala in a pressure cooker is a really very easy task and less time consuming too and, yes! you will never feel a difference in its taste.
To make rajma masala curry in a pressure cooker we need to follow the same steps which we have followed above in rajma recipe. Just avoid the 2nd step in which we boiled kidney beans.
Difference in both methods is here in this pressure cooker method we just need to avoid the boiling process. Now in this second method of cooking rajma, we will follow all steps to make rajma masala for chawal but we do it in a pressure cooker.
Rajma recipe in pressure cooker – process
- Step 1:- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add bay leaf, cinnamon, green cardamom and chopped onions in oil and let it fry well. We need a soft texture of onion.
- Step 2:- Now add ginger & garlic paste in the oil, mix it all together.
- Step 3:- Time to add tomato and onion puree in this mixture. Add both the purees and mix this all.
- Step 4:- Now add Kasuri methi, so take kasuri methi, rub it with both hands and add it in a gravy mixture.
- Step 5:- Add coriander leaves in this mixture and give it a good mix. Now add powder spices (Rajma Masala, Garam Masala, Turmeric Powder, Red Chili Powder, Coriander Powder) in the mixture and mix it well. (here you can skip Rajma Masala if not available)
- Step 6:- Mix all together and cover the cooker with lid. Take 2 whistles and Rajma Curry in a pressure cooker is ready to serve with rice or roti.
This is the best method to cook rajma curry at home. This method will always work for making this taste dish. If you have soaked rajma in water for overnight but need to make rajma curry in less time then in a pressure cooker you will be able to cook rajma very soft and make perfect rajma curry in less time.
- You can skip the rajma masala powder to make rajma without rajma masala.
- If you have less time in your hands to cook rajma then I would suggest you to cook rajma in a pressure cooker.
- You can easily pair this rajma masala curry with rice, roti, fulka or lachha paratha.
If you ask me then I always suggest you to cook rajma in a pressure cooker, it will help you to save time. But the taste of rajma masala curry remains the same in both the methods.
Let’s start a new trend, prepare this recipe and upload your recipe photos on Instagram, Facebook and other social media with hashtag #akunerrecipes.
“Thanks for reading! Share your feedback, leave your comments in comment box.“Hey friends, if you want something new and special dish then post your dish name in comment box and I will definitely provide you the recipe”.
“Good People, Good Thoughts, Good Karma”
All content and images are the copyright of akuner.com. All recipes are tried and tasted, if you are really want to post a recipes or travel post, want to make YouTube videos, then please try to make, write and post your own recipes and travel experience.