Biryani – For Beginners | Chicken Dum Biryani Recipe | Kolkata Style Chicken Biryani in Pressure Cooker | Easy Kolkata Biryani Recipe
Biryani Recipe- For Beginners | Chicken Dum Biryani Recipe | Kolkata Style Chicken Biryani in Pressure Cooker | Easy Kolkata Biryani Recipe
Biryani Recipe- For Beginners | Chicken Dum Biryani Recipe | Kolkata Style Chicken Biryani in Pressure Cooker | Easy Kolkata Biryani Recipe – Here are the step-by-step image instructions of cooking Chicken Dum Biryani in Kolkata style. Whenever you visit Kolkata, search for “best biryani near me” and you will find thousands of options for chicken biryani, mutton biryani, Veg Biryani (Aloo Biryani), fish Biryani and Egg Biryani. City of Joy – Kolkata is a paradise for Biryani lovers. Here, I am sharing one such biryani recipe for the ‘pak’ occasion of Ramadan Eid.
- Egg Noodles Recipe
- Koraishutir Kochuri Recipe
- Bread Manchurian Recipe
- Omelette Pav Recipe
- Egg Burger Recipe
- French Fries Recipe
- Medu Vada Recipe
- Bombay Sandwich Recipe
- Pani Puri Recipe
- Champakali Recipe
- Khasta Kachori Recipe
As per Wikipedia fundamentally the word “biryani” is derived from the word “biryan“, which is originally a Persian word. There are many recognizable kinds of Biryani. It is believed that Biryani was first brought up by Mughals in North India but in Bengal, you will find a different flavor of it.
When I went to Kolkata last year, I tasted Kolkata mutton biryani in a famous restaurant there. The name of that restaurant was ‘Arsalan’, this restaurant is quite famous for its unique taste and aroma of their biryani. The meat of that biryani was really mouth melting, tasty and well cooked.
Best Biryani in Kolkata | Biryani Restaurant in Kolkata
Here, we are going to use chicken drumsticks as we love to eat it. But one can use 750 grams of pre-cut whole chicken for this delicious Biryani preparation.
We would suggest you consider the amount of chicken a little more than the amount of rice. Here I am using 3 chicken drumsticks for 500 grams of rice. So the ratio becomes 750 grams of chicken = 500 grams of Basmati rice.
- 3 Chicken Legs or 750 Grams of Chicken
- 4 Potatoes
- 2 Onion
- 4 Eggs
- 1/2 kg Basmati Kohinoor Biryani Rice
- 4 tbsp Ghee
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 2 Bay Leafs
- 1 tbsp Peppercorn
- 3 Cardamom
- 1 Star Anise
- 2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 2 tbsp Curd
- 3 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 2 tsp Biryani Masala
- Salt as per taste
- White Cloth (if available)
- 1 tsp Orange Food Color
- 3 tsp Milk
- 1/2 tsp Kewra Water
- Plain Water
- Aluminum Foil
The process to make Kolkata Chicken Dum Biryani in a pressure cooker
- Step 1:- Gather all essential ingredients in one place. Wash the chicken well and mark cuts on the leg pieces. Add ginger-garlic paste, Curd, 2 tsp, red chili powder, salt, coriander powder and Biryani masala on the chicken. Mix all together, cover it and keep it in a refrigerator for an hour.
- Step 2:- Take the cooker and add water in it. Add salt and let it boil. Now take the rice, wash it well and add in boiling water, also add 2 bay leafs. Take a clean cloth and place all the whole spices in the center. Join the edges and make a potli. Add this potli in boiling water. It will make this rice aromatic. We need 60 percent boiled rice for Biryani.
- Step 3:- Drain the water and remove the potli of whole spices from rice. Now add 2 tsp ghee in the rice after draining the water. Cover and keep it aside.
- Step 4:- Take a pan, add water, potatoes and eggs in it also add salt. Make sure that the eggs and potatoes are 80% Boiled. Peel the skin of potatoes and remove the shell of eggs once it is 80% boiled.
- Step 5:- Meanwhile prepare fried onion. Cut 2 big onions in vertical thin slices. Heat the pan and add 1 tsp oil. Now add chopped onion in oil and fry until it transforms with brown texture. Keep this fried onion aside.
- Step 6:- Potatoes and eggs are peeled so add potatoes in 1 tsp oil and fry it. Add water, fries onion, 1/2 tsp red chili powder, salt, 1/2 tsp biryani masala and the whole spices potli which we have used in rice making. Let it boil for 5 minutes. Then put all the potatoes in one bowl and keep it aside. Keep the masala water separated. Remove the whole spices potli too.
- Step 7:- Take those marinated chicken from the refrigerator. Remove the cover. Heat the pan and add oil. Now add 2 pinches of fried onion in the oil and add chicken pieces, fry it well. Add remaining marinated curd masala and masala water in which we have boiled the potatoes. Let the chicken get boiled up to 70% and keep it aside in one bowl.
- Step 8:- Remove the whole spices from the potli. Now chicken, potatoes, eggs and rice are separately ready. Let’s make dum.
- Step 9:- Take Cooker. Pour ghee in it and spread it well. Place bay leaf which we have used before. Add a little amount of rice on it. This is the first layer of rice. Then put chicken pieces, do not pour the gravy, keep it aside.
- Step 10:- Now sprinkle fried onion on the top of chicken pieces. Add a second layer of rice. Then place potatoes and sprinkle some biryani masala on it. Add a little amount of rice and add the fried onion.
- Step 11:- Now it is time to add boiled eggs. Place eggs on this layer of rice and add the final layer of rice. Pour chicken masala gravy on the top of the rice along with the fried onions.
- Step 12:-Take milk in a bowl and add orange food color and kewra water in it. Mix it well and spread this milk mixture on the top of the final rice layer. Finally, add remaining fried onions and the whole spices which we have added in potli. Place all the things together.
- Step 13:- Now Take aluminum foil and cover the cooker properly. Then add a tight lid on the top of it. Turn on the gas and place the cooker. Cook on high flame for the first 2 minutes then turn the gas on low flame. Give dum to the layered biryani for 20 minutes. Check after 20 minutes. Chicken dum biryani is ready to serve. Remove the whole spices from the top if you do not like to eat. To make this process easy, I have placed them on the upper side of the layers and together in one place.
This was the process of making Kolkata style chicken dum biryani in a pressure cooker. As I mentioned before, this recipe is basically for beginners. So, photo instructions are very important. I am making it a little easier by sharing step-by-step image instructions for all the small steps of the preparation. This bifurcation will make it easy for everyone to understand.
How to make Kolkata style chicken biryani in a pressure cooker?
To make Kolkata style chicken biryani in a pressure cooker we need very few basic ingredients. This biryani is flavorful and will give justice to your taste buds. Here you will get step-by-step image instructions to prepare Kolkata style chicken biryani in a pressure cooker. I am making steps clear so everyone can make it easy.
A. Gathering all ingredients and Pre-cooking process for Biryani:-
1. Firstly take eggs, potatoes and chicken. Also, soak the rice in water for 30 minutes.
2. Need ghee too.
3. Gather all whole spices in one place.
4. Place one clean cloth on the surface.
5. Add all whole spices in it.
6. Make a potli. We will use this spice throughout biryani preparation.
B. Rice Making for Kolkata style chicken biryani:-
1. Wash rice well and soak it in water for 30 minutes. Then add water in a cooker.
2. Add salt in water.
3.place cooker on the gas stove.
4. Add two bay leafs and whole spices potli in water.
5. Add water-soaked rice in warm water and cook it 60%.
6. Now drain the water.
7. Remove the bay leaf.
8. Also, remove the potli of whole spices.
9. Keep rice as it is for 2-3 minutes so no water will be there in rice.
10. Add ghee in the rice.
11. Mix well and keep it aside. Rice is ready for ‘dum’.
C.how to make crispy onions without deep-frying for Biryani?
1. Cut the onion in thin vertical slices.
2. Heat the 2 tsp oil.
3. Add the onion in it.
4. Add 1/2 tsp sugar it will help to make the onion to transform into brown color and take on a soft texture.
5. Fry for 10 minutes on medium flame and your crispy onions without deep-frying for biryani is ready.
D. Potatoes and eggs Preparation:-
1. Firstly add salt in the water.
2. Cut the potatoes into two pieces and add them in water.
3. Also, add eggs.
4. Cover it with the lid and place it on a gas stove on a medium flame. Boil 80%.
5. Drain the water and keep eggs and potatoes in a bowl after peeling the skin and removing the shell.
6. heat the oil and add potatoes in it.
7. Fry well and add water in it.
8. Also, add the fried onion.
9. Add red chili powder.
10. Also, add salt and whole spices potli.
11.sprinkle 1/2 tsp biryani masala.
12.let it be boiled for 5 minutes.
13. Remove from the pan and put it in a bowl.
14.separate the potatoes from water.
15. Keep the water aside. We need it to cook chicken. Potatoes are ready for ‘dum‘.
E. Chicken Marination and preparation For Kolkata style chicken dum biryani:-
1. Take chicken in one bowl and wash it well.
2. Mark a cut on the chicken pieces.
3. Add the ginger-garlic paste in the chicken.
4. Also, add curd on chicken pieces.
5. Add red chili powder.
6. Sprinkle salt.
7. Add coriander powder in the chicken.
8. Also, add Biryani masala.
9. Mix all together.
10. Cover it with a transparent wrapper or lid.
11. Place it in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
12. Check after 1 hour.
13. heat the oil.
14. Add a little amount of fried onion.
15. Then add marinated chicken pieces.
16. Also, add the curd masala which is left in the bowl of marination.
17. Add Masala water in which we have boiled potatoes.
18. Cook for 5 minutes and keep it aside in one bowl.
19. The chicken is ready. Remember it should be 70% cooked. Chicken is ready for ‘dum‘.
F. Preparation of Dum for Kolkata style chicken biryani in the pressure cooker:-
1. Pour ghee in a cooker.
2. Spread it well.
3. Place bay leaf in the bottom which we have used before for rice.
4. Add a little amount of rice for the first layer.
5. Add chicken pieces.
6. Sprinkle fried onion.
7. Add the second layer of rice.
8. Place the potatoes and sprinkle some biryani masala.
9. Now add a tried layer of rice and also add the fried onion.
10. Add chicken masala gravy.
11. place eggs and add a little amount of rice.
12. Now add remaining gravy of chicken.
13. Now take milk in a bowl.
14. Add a pinch of orange food color.
15. Also, add kewra water.
16 Mix well.
17. Pour this milk on the rice layer. Also, add remaining fried onion and the whole spices which we have used in potli.
18. Cover the cooker mouth with aluminum foil.
19. Cover it with a lid.
20. Place ‘Khalbatta’ (heavyweight on the lid).
21. Keep the cooker on the gas for 2 minutes on the high flame and 20 minutes on low flame.
22. Check after 20 minutes.
23. Biryani is ready.
Serve this delicious biryani with salad or onion rings. When you put the biryani into ‘dum’, its aroma will spread all over the house. This fragrant and delicious dish will be ready in 20 minutes.
The potatoes and eggs in it give a different taste to the tongue. You can also make mint chutney or Raita with this delicious dish. If you want the recipe for green chutney then you can check the link- green chutney Basically in Kolkata, you will not find any chutney with this dish. They serve Chicken chop with Mutton Biryani and Mutton Chop with Chicken Biryani. This combination is heaven or earth.
- Placing the first layer of rice will prevent the chicken from burning.
- Instead of food color use Jafran, Actually it was not available at the time of cooking and was not possible to buy due to quarantine.
- Spices potli will help you a lot. Use the same spice as I instructed. It will give a very authentic Kolkata biryani taste.
- This is a tried and tasted biryani recipe for Beginners. So give it a try.
- Making potli of spices is completely optional. I am using it because I do not like to eat whole spices but yes, I love the aroma of it.
“Follow government instructions for COVID19 and take care of yourself and your family.”
“Thanks for reading! Share your feedback, leave your comments in comment box.“Hey friends, if you want something new and special dish then post your dish name in comment box and I will definitely provide you the recipe”.
“Good People, Good Thoughts, Good Karma”
All content and images are the copyright of akuner.com. All recipes are tried and tasted, if you are really want to post a recipes or travel post, want to make youtube videos, then please try to make, write and post your own recipes and travel experience.
2 thoughts on “Biryani – For Beginners | Chicken Dum Biryani Recipe | Kolkata Style Chicken Biryani in Pressure Cooker | Easy Kolkata Biryani Recipe”
Thank you so much.